Schoolboy, 11, suffers burns to his legs as BlackBerry EXPLODES and sets fire to his bed

school boy, blackberry explodes

An 11-year-old boy suffered agonising burns to his legs when a BlackBerry mobile exploded and set fire to his bed.

Kian McCreath, of Holbrooks, Coventry, woke up screaming with melted plastic stuck to his legs after his brother’s phone burst into flames in their shared bedroom.

The schoolboy’s mother Sarah, 39, doused the burning duvet and mattress and put her son into the bath before he was taken to University Hospital.

Kian’s family are now demanding BlackBerry’s popular Curve 9320 mobile phone be recalled from shops.

The phone, which belonged to Kian’s brother, Mason, was bought as a present for his 13th birthday a fortnight earlier.

Ms McCreath said she had placed the phone on Kian’s bed after finding it on the landing charging last Sunday.

‘It was about 2.30am and I couldn’t sleep so I came downstairs,’ she said. ‘As I left my room and noticed Mason’s phone on charge on the landing.

‘I know the phone has an alarm he uses, so I unplugged it and plonked it on Kian’s bed.

‘I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea then I heard a really loud “pop” sound. Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting “my bed’s on fire!”

‘It was just horrific.’

The boys’ father Pete had bought the mobile phone for Mason from a Vodafone shop in Birmingham.

The carpenter has kept the charred remains and has spoken to Research in Motion – manufacturers who produce Blackberry phones – about his concerns.

‘If Sarah hadn’t acted so quickly that room could have gone up in flames within minutes,’ said Mr McCreath.

‘It was just lucky she got there so quickly.

‘It was so close. I’m shaking just talking about it. If had been any worse I could have my sons in boxes right now.

‘Kian has burns to his lower legs where it exploded. It’s left them mentally scarred. Kian won’t even go back into his bedroom.’

Mason has been offered a replacement phone by Vodafone, but Mr McCreath said he wants the model recalled because of the risk to his son’s classmates at Cardinal Newman School and children across the country.

‘That phone is dangerous and it needs to be tested,’ he said. ‘A lot of the kids are raving about that Blackberry phone right now.

‘My main concern now is the safety of other kids.’

Ms McCreath, an admin assistant, added: ‘The whole thing was absolutely terrifying. The whole of his mattress and about a third of his quilt has been burnt away.

‘I keep thinking what would have happened if I had been in bed and the phone had set alight on the landing. I worry that the house could have burnt down.’

A spokesman from RIM said: ‘We take claims of this nature very seriously and are investigating this matter as a priority.’

A spokeswoman for Vodaphone said the company was trying to get in touch with the McCreaths so the burned phone can be returned and examined.

Latest stories

About Aim_LEGEND

I am a Graphic artist and lover of computer generated images. Business minded, and also love to have fun. I love the media. MablizzyOfficial is staying updated with info and keeping others updated as well..

Posted on December 4, 2012, in News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Whats your opinion?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: